Monday, June 22, 2009

Some Things I Never Thought I Would Do by Pearl Cleage


Pearl Cleage is one of my favorite authors. As a woman, I am a romantic. Pearl Cleage in "What Looks Like Crazy on An Ordinary Day" wrote about a very romantic man. Blue Hamilton is a mature, romantic, intelligent man too. I would go on a date with him just because of his name "Blue." Regina meets Blue Hamilton while in Atlanta.

Regina's goal is not to lose her family home. Regina has been in a rehabilitation center for substance abuse for quite awhile. Now, her house might end up back in the banker's hands. I can see why she wants to save her family home. Her grandparents lived their lives in this house. Regina was born in this house.

The house is more than a house. It's a home. After talking to Aunt Abbie, Regina heads for Atlanta. Visiting with Aunt Abbie leaves Regina's head full of pleasantries as well as a fantasy, vision or fairy tale. Aunt Abbie leaves Regina totally confused about what will happen or whom she will meet while in Atlanta. Aunt Abbie talks about a dark, blue eyed man amd a damsel in distress. Somewhere in her notes Aunt Abbie has written about a dragon too.

This is where I totally lost my mind. I love fairy tales. This story is written about an ordinary Black woman who is literally on her way to some early century adventure. What a wild plot! I couldn't wait to get farther in to the book. There are lots of interesting characters in the book. There is an exciting political game going on and a special romance. This is another wonderful Pearl Cleage book.

I do want to add that the way Pearl Cleage connects what seems a fantasy to reality is magnificent. In the end I came away knowing we need one another. Not even a strong woman is an island. Also, in our journey through life, others sometimes are needed to help us find the way back out of the forest of wrong choices to the fresh air of right choices. The right choice in any predicament is always love. See, after I finished the book, the book still hadn't finished nourishing my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment